Jagex Ltd, the UK’s leading independent online games studio, is looking for an exceptional and passionate Technical Director to lead the RuneScape Technologies team.
Joining the RuneScape Technologies team, your role will be to lead the teams efforts to elevate existing platform and tools for our flagship titles, RuneScape and OldSchool RuneScape. You will implement best working practices for a multi-project setup, incorporating different technolgies in a high performance platform live service environment with millions of active users.
Representing the Technology department in the development of RuneScape, you will work closely with the Executive Producer and Product Leadership level, to maintain a continuous overview of the areas of Engine, Tools and R&D.
Together with the team, through technical leads and a technical project manager, you will build, shape and own a transparent technical product road-map, assuring internal and external stakeholders requirements are represented and balanced.
- Work with the Executive Producer to ensure the technology group is focusing on the right areas
- Build, lead, mentor and manage a team of 20+ engineers
- Collaborate with design, product, analytics, user experience, live operations, central and leadership teams to specify features and development tools
- Be an expert recruiter of top engineering talent
- Build and execute an transparent roadmap, create and deploy best-in-class process, proactively identify and resolve issues, and innovate in software development
- Be able to work with engineers in any domain, even if not an expert, and provide useful guidance and feedback
- Grow and mentor your team, earn their trust, advance their skills and their careers
- Advocates for the technology department in meetings and planning sessions
- Manage the development of the technology team’s abilities and capacity
Be a proven expert in one or more engineering domains such as rendering, networking, mathematics, security, AI, native app development, build systems, solution architecture, database performance, application server design, deployment, system administration etc.
Professional experience in software development for mobile, desktop, security, web and/or server applications
Bring a deep understanding of algorithms, design patterns, debugging and memory/performance optimization
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent