Home to the iconic massive multiplayer online role-playing game RuneScape and its extended family of adventurous titles, we’re a leading games studio that places our players at the heart of everything we do.
We’ve welcomed over 250 million players to RuneScape’s world of enthralling fantasy and, together with our team of passionate game creators, our community helps to shape how our games evolve.
From casting votes on future game content, to interacting with the studio teams in live streams and in chat, we also join together in person at our celebrated fan convention, RuneFest.
Together with our players, we’re united as one Jagex tribe. Together we’re building deep and engaging multiplayer gaming experiences for players everywhere.
HOW YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
Jagex Ltd, the UK's largest developer and publisher of online games, is looking for a talented Head of Esports to play a key role. Reporting to the Director of Community, you’ll be part of the leadership team that shapes the future of the competitive gaming across all our titles.
Your role will include building a team, negotiating with partners, devising strategies, or operations of an esports league or tournament structure. This will encompass elements of operations, player management, business development, marketing, branding, publishing, production, live services and more. Your experience in management and strategic thinking capabilities will shape how we think of esports, how our players get involved and how our viewers get excited by the content.
This is an amazing opportunity to be at the heart of delivering a wide variety of titles from a stable developer/publisher, and requires an experienced, sharp and keen individual with a passion for online games.
As part of your role, you will:
- Build, grow, and run a highly capable esports team that delivers top class experiences to players, their fans and viewers
- Manage all levels of esports: overall strategy and design, large-scale online and offline events production and promotion, broadcasting setup and operation, sponsors and relationships, cost management,
- and content coordination through various media
- Develop an aspirational path and ecosystem for all players: from grassroots to the very top we want competitive players of all kinds to level up
- Create focus within your team and guide them in the priority-setting process, eliminate blockers, and facilitate execution
- Establish clear directions and maintain an open dialogue within your team and with other disciplines
- Define key performance indicators to set goals for and track the performance of our esports and events efforts and help your teams gain and maintain a data-informed perspective on their work
- Inspire and support the career development of our esports team
- Provide support to other disciplines, such as publishing and content creation
WHAT WE NEED
- Experienced: you have at extensive leadership experience in esports or sports. Ideally, you’ve worked in large-scale event production, entertainment, business development, consulting, or sports marketing.
- Player Obsessed: you understand your impact on players and viewer experience because you are a core gamer. You use that knowledge to improve the overall experience of all our competitions, tournaments and events.
- Strategic: you have a broad vision of the esports landscape. You can target the most relevant strategic avenues to bring our events and broadcasts to the right crowd, in the right fashion.
- A leader: you build, lead, and inspire teams by walking the talk. You are self-aware, you can take feedback well, and you remain open to constructive criticism. You can recognize failure and learn from mistakes.
- Talent driven: you know how to support your team in their career development, you hold frequent development discussions and set stretch goals. Ultimately, you love to see your team members succeed and grow in their careers.
- A modern thinker: you stay up-to-date and ahead of the curve of event and esports initiatives carried out by other innovative media companies.
- Agile and organized: roadblocks do not scare you. Your energy is focused on finding solutions to deliver your vision to all players. You show a clear “can-do” attitude and lead by that example.
- A networker: you actively build and cultivate contacts who add value to esports, and who are happy to help you source specific expertise. You effectively negotiate with vendors, partners, and sponsors.
- Data-minded: your analytical mindset helps you translate raw data into exciting and meaningful information through reports, budgets, and estimates that support our marketing and publishing strategy.
- A strong communicator: you have excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Educated: you studied or used agile project and team management (such as SCRUM), lean processes (such as Kanban), and/or objective driven management (such as OKR).
WHAT WE OFFER
If you join us you can expect a competitive salary and great benefits like fully paid for gym membership, bonus entitlement, private health care, flexible working, cycle repair and fresh fruit delivered to your team every day. We also have GREAT coffee machines, an onsite canteen and pub and an in-studio cinema! Expect regular team events as well as EPIC company-wide parties to celebrate our successes.
Does this sound like you? We'd love to hear from you! Get in touch.
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.